Clean or Replace the Carpet in Your Newly Purchased Home in Pinellas County?
Congratulations! You are the proud owner of a recently purchased home.
The rooms are spacious, the appliances are brand new, landscaping is stunning – it is truly an oasis that you can call “home”. The only hiccup is the tortured carpets. It looks like a ‘Friday Night Tractor Pull’ was performed in the living room; and the traffic lanes look like scars that didn’t fully heal. The carpets are severely dirty and abused. Should they be professionally deep cleaned or replaced? Thankfully, American Dream Carpet Cleaning in Pinellas County, Florida can help by offering some suggestions on what can be done.
Generally speaking, having carpets professionally cleaned is less expensive that replacing the carpet. But no homeowner wants to spend hard earned money on a professional cleaning, not get the desired results, and resort to replacement anyway – paying for both!
The first thing to do is get an in-home inspection and written estimate from a professional.
They can inform you about:
- Types of cleaning techniques and the results to expect;
- The level of cleanliness and appearance that can be achieved;
- Whether or not the damage is irreversible.
American Dream Carpet Cleaning in Pinellas County, Florida recommends using a professional that is recognized as a Seal of Approval service provider; that way you’ll know your carpets are being professionally cleaned with quality products and equipment that will help maintain your carpet’s life and beauty. Don’t be afraid to ask questions: How long have they been in business? What formal training have they had?
Most of us would expect a doctor to say: “What You Can’t See Can Hurt You!” We’ve even heard it from our mother as she requests us to wash our hands before dinner. But who would expect to hear it from a carpet cleaning professional?
Carpet has been unfairly blamed as a contributor to asthma, allergies, and for emitting high levels of volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Truth be told, carpet is our ally; like a filter it can “hold on” to many particles – dander, pollen, dust and other contaminants – that can cause problems. Vacuuming and periodically deep-cleaning your carpet can remove those particles before they overflow the carpet “reservoir” and enter the breathing zone.
Proper cleaning with a good quality vacuum effectively sucks up the dirt, dust, and other bio-pollutants from the carpet, locks it in the machine and keeps it out of the air. American Dream Carpet Cleaning also recommends that carpets be cleaned by a certified professional (like us) on a regular basis – every 12-18 months.
What about mold and fungi? Since most carpet manufacturers use synthetic fibers in the construction of carpet, it is nearly impossible for mold and fungi to grow – as long as the carpet is kept dry and cleaned regularly.
VOCs in modern carpet are minimal and dissipate quickly as a result of the modern way that carpet manufacturers produce low VOC carpet fibers. LOW VOC compliant manufacturers produce 98 percent of all the carpet made in America
During and after new carpet installation in a home, American Dream Carpet Cleaning recommends extra ventilation; within 48 to 72 hours virtually all VOCS will have dissipated. Also, ask that the installer follow carpet industry installation guidelines.
Since most people spend up to 90% of their time indoors, it makes sense to follow a good carpet maintenance program. By doing so, we maximize the benefits of carpet – comfort, acoustics, safety, visual variety and appeal – minimize the health-related concerns of bio-pollutant build up, and help ensure our home environment is safe, healthy and welcoming for friends and family.
If it is known that the carpet is still under warranty or you have questions concerning the manufacturer’s recommended cleaning method, be sure to contact the manufacturer directly.
To select the best carpet for your home and lifestyle, several things should be considered:
- Carpet and Rug Construction – Understanding a few basics about carpet construction can help you make the right choices for your lifestyle and budget.
- Color – Are you looking for an atmosphere that’s vibrant, spacious, calming, or cozy? Do you want it to reflect your style? Carpet is the foundation of a room’s décor and sets the “feel” of the room.
- Quality and Performance Requirements – The type of fiber used and the way the carpet is constructed determines the basic performance and durability of the carpet.
- Selecting the Right Cushion – adds comfort and acts as a shock absorber when walked on. Poor cushion choice can cause wrinkling and buckling.
- Insulation – guards against extreme heat or cold – an important benefit in our energy-conscious world.
- Low VOC carpet for Indoor Air Quality – With allergies and chemical sensitivity becoming more of a challenge in the home, choosing “Green” carpet, carpet backing, cushions, and adhesives that emit low VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) will improve the indoor air quality.
- Special Considerations – choosing carpet for high traffic areas, aging individuals, pets, heated floors, and outdoor carpeting should be considered too.
No matter what a homeowner chooses – deep clean or replacement – either way, the homeowner wins. By following American Dream Carpet Cleanings suggestions, every homeowner can enjoy carpet that adds to the appeal, appearance, and comfort of their home.